Feel free to contact me:

Things to include: Location and date of your planned event, and any information you think would be relevant to your booking

Mobile: 0274 987 151
Email: [email protected]

Legal Paperwork

Department of Internal Affairs Website

How do I get a Marriage Licence?

Complete a ‘Notice of Intended Marriage’ and go to an office of a Registrar of Marriages, to sign the statutory declaration before a Registrar of Marriages stating you are legally free to marry. From August 2017 Births, Deaths and Marriages started offering an online option to allow couples to complete their marriage applications/legal formalities.

What does ‘legally free to marry’ mean?

Legally free to marry means that you are not married or in a civil union already (unless you are changing the form of the relationship from a civil union with the same partner), are 16 years of age or over (and have parental consent if aged 16 or 17), are not closely related to each other in certain ways.

Where do I get a Marriage Licence?

Department of Internal Affairs – Notice of Intended Marriage BDM60 – Download here

How long before my wedding should I get the licence?

I suggest you give The Department of Internal Affairs – Births, Deaths and Marriages a minimum of 2 working weeks to provide documents.  My suggestion is to have it filed 4-6 weeks prior to wedding date. Remember a licence is only valid for three months from the date of issue.

Where do I take the Licence and Pay the fee?

Level 1, BNZ Centre
120 Hereford Street
Freephone: 0800 22 52 52 (New Zealand only)
Phone: +64 4 463 9362
Opening hours: Monday to Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm, except Wednesday 9:00am – 5:00pm

If you prefer it can all be now done on-line, with documents being emailed to you.  You can then forward them to your celebrant, who will print them and have them ready for your wedding.  After the ceremony your celebrant will scan the signed and witnessed licence; and forward it back to Births Deaths and Marriages.

What do I need to take with me?

No official ID is required. But if the couple have been married before the need a copy of the Dissolution Papers (Divorce).  Or you will need to attach scanned copies.

How much will it cost?

Pay the fee of NZ$150.00 for a marriage licence, or NZ$240.00 for a Registry Office marriage to be held during normal office hours (Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 4:00pm).  This includes an official copy of your Marriage Certificate once your wedding is registered.